Town clerks, and other members of our boards of civil authority, know there is more to running Vermont’s elections than checklists and tabulators. In fact, the biggest challenge for those charged with running Vermont’s elections is doing what needs to be done next—before the deadline passes.
At the Office of the Secretary of State, we work hard to help ensure that Vermont’s local officials run elections in a proper and legal manner. Election Procedures—A Guide for Election Officials is designed to be used as an overview of the election process and as a step-by-step reference for election officials for conducting elections. This guide is supplemented during the election year by elections bulletins, emailed by the Elections Division to the town clerks as a reminder of the various requirements of election administration as deadlines near.
There have been changes to both federal and state election laws since previous versions of our elections procedures guide were published. Please discard all previous versions of this booklet.
Indivudal appendices to this guide are at the bottom of the page. We provide the individual appendices in PDF form for election officials to print and bring with them to the polling place as necessary.
2015 Elections Calendar
View our complete 2015 online elections calendar:
Click here to dowload a printable version of the calendar.
The Campaign Finance Guide is provided below for your reference. Please note, however, that under the new campaign finance law, all campaign finance reports, including those required from local candidates, are to be filed with the Office of the Secretary of State, and not the local clerk. The “Campaign Finance” section of our website has more information and reporting forms that you can download and provide to local candidates.
Individual Appendices for Printing
- APPENDIX A: Request for Early or Absentee Voter Ballot
- APPENDIX B: Sworn Voter Affirmation Form for Addition to the Checklist to be administered at the Polls
- APPENDIX C: Vermont Voter Affidavit Form for Undelivered or Lost Absentee Ballots
- APPENDIX D1: Sworn Affirmation of Residence/Domicile for Challenged Voters
- APPENDIX D2: Sworn Affirmation of Residence/Domicile for Challenged Voters - for Military and Overseas Voters
- APPENDIX E: Vermont Voter Bill of Rights
- APPENDIX F: Notice to Voters - Instructions for Marking Your Ballot
- APPENDIX G: Sample Local Justice of the Peace Ballot for Paper Ballot Towns
- APPENDIX H: Defective Ballot Envelope Cover Sheet
- APPENDIX I: Spoiled Ballot Envelope Cover Sheet
- APPENDIX J: Polling Place Checklists
- APPENDIX K: Vote-by-Telephone
- APPENDIX L: Administrative Complaint Procedure
- APPENDIX M: Rule on What Constitutes a Vote
- APPENDIX N: Illustrations of Ballot Markings of Voter Intent