Online Registration Guide
Please Note: Below is a general guide as to the information you will need to start or register your business entity online, to include trade name (DBA)s, LLCs, corporations, nonprofit corporations, L3Cs, benefit corporations, or mutual benefit enterprises.
All entities registrations:
- A name for your business entity including any alternate names if the desired name is unavailable.
- A physical address for your business.
- An email address for your business to which you have regular access.
- An optional mailing address for your business (if you use a P.O. Box, this is where you would list it).
- The name and street address of a registered agent located in Vermont.
- Names of officers or directors, if applicable.
- Payment of the required fee by credit card or e-check/ACH.
Additional information needed for non-Vermont (i.e. foreign) entities seeking to do business in Vermont:
- Upload an image of your Certificate of Good Standing from your home state dated not older than 30 days. This must be in the form of a scan or digital copy that is uploaded during the application process.
- Provide us with your out-of-state office mailing address.
The Corporations Division is going paperless.
Soon, all business filing functions of the Office of the Secretary of State will be available for completion online. To access the online system you are required to create a user account for yourself. The process is easy and takes less than two minutes to complete.
The benefits of the online system include:
- Instant processing of filings that used to take weeks by paper and mail
- Access to your own system inbox
- Built-in fraud and business ID theft protections
- The ability to login anytime to view recent activity, and copies of your receipts and correspondences
- The ability to login anytime to update your information
- The ability to login anytime to view your certificates and reports
Remember, we do not keep any credit card information or other sensitive information in our system.
TIP: Once you create your user ID and password, store them in a safe place and use them regularly to enter the system and maintain your records. All of your receipts, confirmations, emails, and correspondence from us will be sent to the email address you designate and can be located for quick and easy recovery under “inbox” after you log in.
Once you have prepared the required information, you can create your Vermont entity or register your out-of-state business in a few easy steps:
- Log into the Online Business Service Center.
- Click on “Online Services” on the main menu (left side) to open the drop-down menu.
- Click on “Start or Register Your Business” or “Trade Name (DBA) Registration.”
- Follow the Online Prompts and enter the required information.
- Click “Submit” on the final page.
- Look for an email from us in a few days with your certificate and you’re all done.
What Happens Next?
Once completed, if the name is available, you will receive your Certificate of Incorporation by email within three to five business days.
* If the name may conflict with an existing name, or if the name is not available, you will be notified by email within two business days and given the opportunity to choose a different name.
** Every Vermont business must have a registered agent. This can be any person, 18 years or older, with a valid street address to receive notices and service of process on your behalf. This can be anyone—including your attorney, accountant, a neighbor, or even yourself as the business owner—but you must provide a valid Vermont street address.
The entire process normally takes less than 5 minutes to complete.